12 Tips to Improve Communication in Your Marriage
1. Listen to understand.
2. Don’t interrupt.
3. Stay on the current issue. Don’t bring up other topics.
4. Don’t talk loudly.
5. Don’t curse.
6. Don’t call your spouse names.
7. Take a 30 minute time out if you start to lose control.
8. Ask yourself if the issue is big enough to even talk about.
9. Ask your spouse how you can make the situation better.
10. Calmly tell your spouse how he or she can make the situation better.
11. Focus on repairing and reconciling rather than trying to prove you are right and your spouse is wrong.
12. Remember your spouse is not your enemy. You are a team.